Friday, April 12, 2013

Sound and It's Varying Effects on Your Health and Well Being



Sound has it’s varying effects on your health and well being.

Sound, being a frequency, plays a large role in the world of energy medicine and therefore a huge contributing factor in effecting your health positively or negatively.

Many studies have been done on the power of sound. 

One study was done with plants showing that rock music negatively affected their growth while classical music seemed to positively enhance their growth. 

Country had no effect. I always thought that was funny.  

Don’t tell the country music industry. 

Certain sounds will definitely support your well being while others will adversely affect it. 

Fingernails on a chalkboard, you know this causes an eerie sensation up your spine. Not something you want to continually subject your body to.   

Someone singing with a perfect pitch will cause harmony within your body and good feelings, where off pitch, like the fingernails on the chalkboard example, will cause a prickling sensation within you.   

Always move toward that which causes harmony within you.   

Certain music is known to make it easier for us to study and absorb information, while other type do nothing but distract us. 

Have you ever heard of "Mozart Makes You Smart"? 

That music is specifically selected to help stimulate your mind into a state of being receptive to learning.  You play it in the background while you study and it helps with retention and recall of information.   

There are certain music compositions you would play to relax and quiet your mind. Choose melodies that create calm and serene feelings when falling asleep at night so that adrenaline isn’t released.

Choose melodies that are more stimulating during the day for heightened awareness. 

Choose music that creates harmony in your body, mind, and spirit.   Include vocals of a positive nature to support your entire being. 

12 comments:

  1. Dear Dr. Samantha,

    This is great information. I know that music can have a huge impact on people and can also cause higher vibrations if it is pleasant or happy or happy memory inducing music. I am happy to learn all this additional information that you have provided here.

    Thank you,

    Kathy Hadley
    http://kathyhadleylifecoach.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Kathy. Another fun fact with how our brains store information is that music played during a happy moment you experienced in the past will re-trigger that happy moment when you hear the music in the future. Happy moment of the past recalled by music or music causing you to be happier in general. It works both ways.

      Dr. Samantha Joseph

      Delete
  2. I have heard music is powerful. A friend of mine does sound work and has shared some amazing results with me. I really like how you state: "Always move toward that which causes harmony within you." If we could learn this in all areas of life how much better off we would be! Thanks for the post. Best Regards, Wendy UBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Practice being present with yourself is a good guide for all of us to learn. Happy you enjoyed this brief post on sound.

      Dr. Samantha Joseph

      Delete
  3. I am fascinated by, and read a lot of brain research. I know that Oliver Sacks, Ph D., well known neurologist (and musician) wrote a book about the power of music called "Musicophilia". I recommend using music for stress relief, as well as elevating your mood.

    I love most kinds of music. But I have to admit, there are country songs that I do enjoy! Please don't hold that against me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lianda, I know, I have some country songs I like as well, but the post gets lengthy if I start making fun of myself in it. You gotta keep laughing.

      There are absolutely unending number of applications for the power of sound and the effects it has upon us. I could have written a thesis.

      You may want to check out Russill Paul's "The Yoga of Sound." He covers the power of mantra and is wonderful to chant with. Or, regarding neuroplasticity of the brain "The Brain That Changes Itself."

      Delete
  4. I totally love this because I know that music can change your mood in an instant. Just the first note of a familiar song can make you happy, sad, and/or put you in another place and time of in your life. I think music triggers memories and just so much more. It's funny, recently wrote about my memory of songs from my childhood and songs that were from my parents time and before that remember. I have an uncanny thing about remembering lyrics to songs regardless of when I last heard them. Songs also pop into my head from seemingly nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Sabrina, thanks for sharing your insights. I believe we need to use what works for us. You seem to resonate strongly with the sense of sound, keep playing with it and see where it leads you.

      Dr. Samantha Joseph

      Delete
  5. I love music as a mood changer. I love listening to music that reminds me of days gone by. Nostalgia. I always get very emotional on those tv shows like The Voice where people sing, I think sometimes its like resonating with their connection with the divine when they sing. I also love silence. Thats music to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Kate, keep using the power of sound to your benefit. When you know someone is tapping into the Divine using the power of sound allow yourself to resonate in and feel that. The more you do so, the easier it will get and that power of harmony and love will radiate out from you.

      Dr. Samantha Joseph

      Delete
  6. I'm a big fan of sound healing so I was excited to see it highlighted today on your blog. I had no idea about the study and the rock music and classical music effecting plant growth. It made me wonder if it also might have something to do with the content and tone of the lyrics, not just the music itself.

    The sounds of crystal bowls really resonate with me. I would have never made that connection until I heard someone play one in person. It is a much more richer experience than hearing a recording. I definitely felt harmonized afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn, there is a book called "The Secret Life of Plants." I believe it may have been discussed in there. The music is most definitely going to cause an effect depending on the lyrics in the music as well as the state of the person singing. As you know, it's all frequency.

      I also love crystal bowls. The bowls I use are made of quartz that have different crushed crystals embedded in the sides of them. I use a set in my practice and they also work over the phone. They're wonderful.

      Keep up the good healing work.
      Dr. Samantha JOseph

      Delete